Years of hard work and study will culminate this weekend for the McCallie School Class of 2017 as this fine group of young men celebrate their graduation at Commencement Weekend. These young men will begin of a new chapter in their lives with a weekend full of events that will allow their friends and family to celebrate this achievement with them.
Commencement Weekend begins Saturday, May 20, with the Baccalaureate service at 5 p.m. in the Chapel. Seniors Mac Patton, Will Driscoll, Barak Goren, Henry Rice, Josh Azan and Walt Buzzini will speak during this service, and Assistant Headmaster Kenny Sholl will reflect on the impact of the Class of 2017 on the McCallie community. The McCallie Men’s Chorus, under the direction of James Harr ’92, will also perform at the Baccalaureate service.
Following Baccalaureate, a reception will be held at Burns Plaza on the J. Spencer McCallie III Quadrangle for students, families and friends.
On Sunday morning at 8:30, McCallie's 112th Commencement will be held in the Sports and Activities Center. Salutatorian Xuanlin Li and Valedictorian King Jemison will speak to their classmates and guests, and Board of Trustees Chairman J. Hal Daughdrill ’73 will offer remarks before Headmaster Lee Burns ’87 presents the Class of 2017 with their diplomas as the newest alumni of McCallie School.
Seniors Myles Bagley and Cam Burton will offer the invocation and closing prayer, and the McCallie Wind Ensemble will perform under the direction of Brent Alverson.
A reception for graduates, their guests and faculty will be held immediately following the event on the Spencer J. McCallie III ‘55 Quad as the Class of 2017 celebrates their accomplishments and bids farewell to their time as students on the Ridge.
Below are some reminders of events and tips for your enjoyment:
- PARKING: As with any graduation weekend, parking will be a challenge for the many visitors coming to campus for this celebration. Some important notes to that effect:
- On Sunday, all of Kyle street from Anderson Avenue to the Chapel lot will be opened for two-way traffic. Both lanes at the front entrance will be open for incoming traffic only from 7 a.m. to 9:30 a.m., and all departing traffic must exit by way of Kyle Street or Michaels Drive to Anderson or Kirby.
- The circle at the SAC will serve as a drop-off and pick-up zone, and the two lots closest to the building — usually reserved for faculty and staff — will be available for special needs parking.
- Parking will be available in all available lots as space allows as well as on the Dunlap baseball fields and the soccer field, weather permitting. Security staff will be on hand to direct guests to the closest available parking.
- LIVE STREAMING AND VIDEO ARCHIVE OF COMMENCEMENT WEEKEND:
For family and friends who can’t make it to the festivities in person, both the Baccalaureate and Commencement will be streamed live at this link and will be available for later viewing on the McCallie YouTube channel.
- Baccalaureate can be seen at this link beginning at 5 p.m. Saturday, May 20.
- Commencement can be seen at this link beginnin at 8:30 a.m. Sunday May 21
Lifetouch will photograph each graduate as they receive their diploma, and those photos will be available for purchase. In addition, photographers will be capturing other moments throughout the weekend, and a gallery of those images will be posted at photos.mccallie.org where they can be viewed and downloaded and prints can be ordered.