McCallie’s Model United Nations team had an outstanding showing at the Southeast High School Model United Nations conference held in Chattanooga.
McCallie senior Gavin LaPlace had the distinguished honor of serving as Secretary General for the conference. The job of secretary general is huge responsibility that extends for nearly an entire year. It was a daunting challenge that Gavin handled in spectacular fashion.
McCallie represented the Egypt delegation in the competition, and was named Best Delegation of the conference. In addition to the overall award, several McCallie delegates won individual awards for their work at SHSMUN.
McCallie’s team representing Egypt were:
- Sultan Minhas, General Committee
- Ahmad Nisar, Security Council
- Huck Bagby, Honorable Mention (2nd/3rd best delegate) in Disarmament and International Security (DISEC) Committee
- Jack Wu, Economic and Financial Committee
- Noah Risley, Honorable Mention (2nd/3rd best delegate) in Social, Humanitarian and Cultural (SOCHUM) Committee
- Sawyer Lyons, Honorable Mention (see above) in Special Political and Decolonization (SPECPOL) Committee
- Chris Yin, Legal Committee
- Parth Virani, Honorable Mention (see above) in United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Committee
- Bobby Pettit, United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) Committee
- Sam Bennett, Best Delegate (1st) in World Health Organization (WHO) Committee
- Louis Onoratini, Best Delegate (1st) in Introductory Committee
Sam Bennett and Louis Onoratini were also named to the "All-Star Delegation" from the SHSMUN, which qualifies them to participate in the National High School Model United Nations conference, held at the United Nations Headquarters in March in New York.
Dewayne Bingham won Best Delegate in the Digital Press Corps, the journalistic group that covered the conference.
Frankie Zahrobsky won Honorable Mention in the Introductory Committee, representing Qatar working with Jack Curtis and Robbie Watkins.